Nyamira Governor Amos Kimwomi Nyaribo on Tuesday sent the revenue collection officers for a annual leave, citing lack of transparency in revenue collection.
Below is the Press Release:
The County Government of Nyamira intends to enhance Own Source Revenue so as to complement the equitable share revenue in order to fund the following programs;-
1. Enhanced funding to support garbage collection across all markets within Nyamira County.
2. Allocation to support fencing of markets
3. Allocation towards the construction of modern toilets in various markets
4. Allocation towards the construction of Market Sheds across the County
5. Allocation towards the revolving fund to support the small and medium size business community to mitigate against the effects of covid-19
6. Other Government priorities include improved road networks, equipping hospitals, water distribution and payment of salary arrears to ECDE teachers and eventual absorption of the same cadre to permanent and pensionable terms.
All the programs are funded through Own Source Revenue (OSR) and Equitable Share. This explains the importance of enhancing our own source revenue.
The County Government of Nyamira has in the recent past recorded a low amount of revenue collection of about 7% of its potential according to CRA Report.
This has seriously affected service delivery in running of County programs hence, the need to urgently reorganize revenue management and its collection systems with a target of hitting at least 20% of its potential .
In this regard, my administration has resorted to the following measures to help in boosting revenue collection henceforth;-
1. Disbandment of the revenue collection teams including enforcement officers. The affected officers should report back to the head office tomorrow, 2nd November 2022 with the following items issued to them; point of sale devices, enforcement gadgets and uniforms
Further, they will proceed on accumulated annual leave.
2. With immediate effect, the County Executive Committee Member for Finance to constitute a new team to take up revenue collection exercise and all other CEMs are expected to give full support in ensuring success of the exercise. I expect weekly updates on the same.
I wish to urge Nyamira citizens to be patient as I bring sanity to our systems. I believe with the new team, we shall achieve our annual revenue targets.
With your cooperation in paying taxes, I believe we shall meet our targets to fast track development.