Ombati said that they took drinking water samples for testing and found that the water was safe. They are set to test the water again this month.
He said that students at the school often get ill from various illnesses, so there is no cause for alarm. He said the school has a private arrangement with private hospitals through the Edu Afya Medical scheme.
However, these claims have been disputed by a number of sources. Abuga Makori, a local journalist, tweeted that at least two students have died and several others have been hospitalized after consuming contaminated food at Gesiaga High School.
TWO STUDENTS DEAD, SEVERAL HOSPITALIZED AFTER CONSUMING CONTAMINATED FOOD
I can authoritatively report that at least two students from Gesiaga High School in Nyamira have DIED and at the moment, several others are silently hospitalized after consuming contaminated food.
He said that one student from Egesieri was buried a few days ago after complaining of stomach pains. He also said that a number of students are showing similar symptoms and have been quietly released to their parents to seek medication.
One parent, who spoke to Makori on condition of anonymity, confirmed that her daughter is hospitalized in Oasis, Kisii for the last one week where she is fighting for her life.
The student, who has not been named, started complaining of stomach pains and subsequently diarrhea.
She was taken to Ekerenyo Hospital, but her condition did not improve. Her parents then rushed her to Nyamira Hospital, but she was referred to Oasis.
Doctors at Oasis have diagnosed the student with aflatoxin poisoning. Aflatoxin is a toxic substance produced by certain fungi that can grow on food, especially maize.
It can cause a number of health problems, including liver damage, kidney failure, and even death.
The student is now on life support. Her kidneys are failing and her liver is almost collapsing. Doctors say that she is in a critical condition and that her chances of survival are slim.
The allegations against Gesiaga High School have raised serious concerns about the safety of food at the school.
Gesiaga High has a large number of students, and it is important that they are not exposed to contaminated food.