Mashujaa Day celebrations 2022 in Nyamira County were held at Menyenya Primary grounds.
The area MP Patrick Osero in his speech said that He is Pushing for the expansion of Kijauri Hospital to enable establishment of KMTC college. He added that he will hold Talks With Nyansiongo Factory management to donate some of the land behind the Hospital for the building of the Medical college.
Nyamira County Woman representative jerusha Momanyi endorsed the idea and promised to pursue it to the end. “The Nyamira County Government should prioritise the establishment of the KMTC and expansion of the health facility ” Jerusha said.
Jones Omwenga, CECM Nominee for Public Works, Roads, Transport and disaster Management who represented the governor in that event thanked Borabu residents for turning out in large numbers for the celebration.
He later read out Governor Amos Nyaribo speech as below
“The Deputy Governor Nyamira County, county commissioner and other administrators present, Members of parliament, Members of County Assembly, members from the law enforcement agencies, officers from the county government of Nyamira, citizens of Nyamira County,
Ladies and gentlemen;
Let me take this opportunity to welcome you all to this year’s Mashujaa day celebrations when we take pride in remembering and celebrating the selfless Kenyan leaders that came before us and guided our country in attaining the freedom that we enjoy today. We do so with a lot of humility and in realization that the making of a nation is a continuous process that can only be attained when each and every one of us participates. Today, therefore, on behalf of the people of Nyamira County we join the rest of Kenyans in celebrating the development strides we have made as a nation in the last 6 decades.
And so, my fellow Kenyans particularly those of us from Nyamira county, we gather here today to remember the heroes of the past, to celebrate the fruits we continue enjoying due to their selfless sacrifices, to preserve, protect and propagate these invaluable inheritance. I am particularly proud of the strides we have made as a county since the beginning of devolution about 9 years ago.
These celebrations are taking place soon after elections through which we the elected leaders have been given the trust and mandate to serve the people. As your governor, I must remind you and particularly those of us in the public service that the privilege bestowed upon us to serve is sacred and that we must embrace it with enthusiasm.
When I took the oath of office a few weeks ago, I promised Good governance and accountability, Inclusivity, Wealth and job creation. I will endeavour to ensure that I operate within the confines of these principles in order to accelerate our development agenda and deliver on my promise to the people of Nyamira.
I want to reiterate my commitment in working with the national government, elected leaders from Nyamira County, the private sector and development partners in delivering the much needed development in our County.
My fellow citizens, I want to report that we are on course as your representatives in implementing the manifesto through which you entrusted us to the office that we hold.
Please allow me to mention in a nutshell our development agenda;
A) Education and Road Network
1. We will expand and improve the road network in the county equitably in all the 20 wards to ease movement of goods and services within and outside the county and improve the business environment around Nyamira town including the ongoing modernization program of the town.
2. Infrastructural improvement of the learning environment of ECDE as well as human capital enhancement through employment of ECDE teachers on permanent basis as promised. We shall also keep our promise of engaging on contract the ECDE teachers that missed out on permanent terms.
3. While the secondary school scholarship program for 200 students per year that we started this year will be strengthened, we are Streamlining bursary disbursement through elimination of ghost beneficiaries in order the expand the number of deserving students.
4. We shall continue revamping the technical and vocational training centres by developing centres of excellence specializing on specific skills.
1. Improving the infrastructure and modernizing the equipment in our health facilities across the county is my priority as promised in my manifesto.
2. We shall recruit additional medical staff to improve on service delivery and move towards the accepted medical staff -patient ratio.
3. Improved incentives for Volunteer Community Health Workers.
4. Developing a computer based mechanism of distributing and tracking drugs in our health centres and hospitals to curb drug theft and wastage.
5. The Construction and equipping of Nyamira Mental Treatment and Management Center (MTMC) is ongoing and is expected to not only serve the people of Nyamira County but the lake region as a whole.
C) Agriculture, water and sanitation
1. Improve and update extension service provision and partner with the private sector for increased and improved use of farm inputs.
2. The establishment of 20 boreholes, one in each ward has been implemented with tremendous success.
Ladies and gentlemen, for us to move agriculture to the next level, value addition, processing and organized markets are key issues that we are addressing through the Integrated Agro Industrial Park funded by the United Nations International Development Organization (UNIDO) located at Sironga whose catchment area is 9 counties.
This multibillion project is expected to be a game-changer not only in agriculture but business as a whole for our people in Nyamira who for a long time have suffered lack of reliable markets for their agricultural produce.
This park will provide over 6,000 direct jobs, business opportunities for the surrounding communities, accelerate the cottage industry, ready market for agricultural produce from the county as well as neighbouring counties.
D) Youth and women proposition
To underscore the important role the youth play in economic development, my government will undertake to;
1. Enhance sports talent development building on what we started last year including the establishment of high altitude training center for athletes at Omokirondo. These initiatives will go hand in hand with sports facilities modernization such as Esanige and Manga stadiums.
2. My government will establish a robust Internship, Mentorship, and Attachment programs for the youth and offer business and entrepreneurial training.
As I conclude, ladies and gentlemen, let me touch on the security situation in our County. Recently the county commissioner and I issued a statement on the increasing insecurity which has not improved. My fellow citizens, we must understand that security is a shared responsibility and that we rely on the information that we receive from you to keep you safe. I am urging all the residents of Nyamira County to promptly report any suspicious activities to the police and not take the law into their hands. We can only implement what we have set out to do and that’s why we shall jealously guard our security.